Re[2]: More on DU

     Several of the statements below are misleading or incorrect.

     The fraction of particulate material deposited in the lung has less
     to do with the 'weight' of uranium, as seems to be implied, as it
     does the particle size of the airborne material.

     For those particulates that are deposited in the airways and lungs,
     the amount of material dissolving and being absorbed by body fluids
     depends on the solubility of the particulate material and the
     length of time the material remains in the lung without being
     removed by other mechanisms (e.g., movement out of the lungs by
     cilia, etc.).  Since the lungs are receiving radiation exposure
     from the particulate material that HAS NOT been absorbed or
     otherwise removed, this exposure may well be more significant than
     what happens after absorption by body fluids.

     (To say it more simply: If you have a lot of insoluble radioactive
     material in your lungs for years, you can get a large lung dose;
     the fact that it may be removed relatively quickly after it finally
     dissolves becomes irrelevant in that case.)

     Finally, doesn't working in SCBAs for 'any detectable' airborne
     uranium seem just a bit ambitious?  After all, naturally occurring
     uranium can be 'detected' in any air sample if you collect or count
     long enough.  The whole purpose in having Derived Air
     Concentrations and Permissible Exposure Levels is to identify air
     concentrations where you start implementing protective measures.
     (And if protective measures are deemed necessary, I would begin
     with air purifying respirators before moving straight to SCBAs).

     From what I've been seeing on RadSafe, it sounds like the HPs
     associated with the Armed Forces have looked at this in depth and
     know what they are dealing with.  Unfortunately, no amount of
     expertise is likely to make the DU 'issue' ever go away.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com