RE: Down Syndrome and Radiation Exposure

	Down Syndrome could be caused by high radiation doses degrading
the immune system, availability of repair enzymes, or other biological
defense mechanisms. There is excellent evidence that high level radiation
causes cancer and genetic effects by degrading these biological defense
mechanisms, and that radiation initiating aberrations is a minor effect.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260