Re: Down Syndrome and Radiation Exposure

For someone with more recent genetic/reproductive biology studies than me.

Since increased age at conception is a risk factor for Down's Syndrome and it is evidently caused by the egg having the doublet of chromosome 21.  Is there a decreased ability with age for the mother to spontaneously abort fetuses with genetic problems?  Would this carry over to genetic problems in general and radiation induced abnormalities in particular?  is there bomb survivor data since I don't expect this has been vigoursly studied experimentaly in humans.

Zack Clayton
zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us *
Ohio EPA
Voice 614-644-3066