RE: X-rays by Chiropractors

Elizabeth,

I used to work for a state agency that had jurisdiction over inspection of
all radiation producing devices (we were an 'agreement state' with the NRC)
in the state.  We did  a lot of inspection including testing of X-ray
devices.  I don't know how it is now but back then we had a lot of
measurement equipment 'on-loan' from the FDA and in return we supplied them
with all of our data.  So you should be able to contact your local state
regulatory agency that has this jurisdiction and ask for a copy of the
yearly averages for your state and probably for most of the country.  Some
of the inspectors should have the 'technique charts' mentioned in other
posts and you should also be able to get those from film manufacturers.  My
personal experience with chiropractors has been similar to previously
posted.  I won't name anyone but remember inspecting a young, well to do
(drove a Jaguar XJS) chiropractor who was also a 'team chiropractor' for a
major university's football team.  He would instruct his technicians to
shoot non-caucasian people at higher settings because, according to this
'educated man', "You needed more kVp/mA to penetrate their skin."  So much
for five years of chiropractic college.