RE: Down Syndrome and Radiation Exposure

> Carlisle, Sara [carlisles@aecl.ca] wrote on Thursday, June 10, 1999 2:56
> PM:
>
> Teratogenic effects are non-genetic effects induced by some factor, such
> as the abnormal limb development induced by thalidomide without altering
> the DNA.  Down Syndrome, on the other hand, is the result of genetic
> abnormality - in particular, having three copies of a region of chromosome
> 21, so is not a teratogenic effect but a genetic effect.
>
> Although it has sometimes been suggested that Down Syndrome may increase
> due to radiation, evidence does not seem to support this.  See, for
> example, Johnson, K.C., and Rouleau, J. (1991) Tritium releases from the
> Pickering nuclear generating station and birth defects and infant
> mortality in nearby communities 1971-1988, AECB report INFO-0401. In this
> study of the
> population of Pickering, Ontario, Canada (1971-1988), no evidence of
> increased incidence for 21of 22 birth defects was found, and while a
> "cluster" of Down's syndrome cases near Pickering were observed, the
> affected births were usually followed in time by tritium releases, ruling
> out causation.  Similarly, I don't believe the Atomic Bomb Survivor
> follow-up has found an association between Down Syndrome and radiation
> exposure.
>
> Mental retardation and small head size, however, is associated with in
> utero exposures between 8 and 15 weeks after fertilization, and to a
> lesser extent from 16 to 25 weeks.  Such effects are associated with doses
> greater than about 10 cGy (see Yamazaki and Schull, 1990, JAMA 264:
> 605-609 - I'm sure there are more recent references, but this was the only
> one I could dig out on short notice).  These effects are teratogenic
> rather than mutagenic, and appear to be associated with disruption of
> neuronal migration during development.
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It may interest you to know that...
Foundation, formerly ABCC -- the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission ) earlier
this year,

> > In your answer to Question 4, "What health effects have been seen among
> > persons who were exposed while still in their mothers' wombs?" there is
> no
> > mention of teratogenic effects such as have resulted in the case of some
> > chemicals like thalidomide. Is this an oversight or is there a definate
> > absence of teratogenic effects such those one sees with some chemicals ?
>

> the RERF WWW Committee[SMTP:research-info@rerf.or.jp] wrote on Monday,
> January 25,
>
> Dear M. Franta,
>
>   Thank you for your correspondence on January 4. We apologize for taking
> so long to reply. As your question is not the area of expertise of anyone
> currently on site, we consulted an authority on human genetics who has
> been affiliated with the Radiation Effects Research Foundation from its
> early days.
>
>   His comments in regards to your question are reproduced below. We hope
> this provides some satisfactory answer to your question.
>
> RERF WWW Committee

.....unlike the situation with respect to ionizing radiation and exposure of
the embryo or fetus of women who were pregnant at the time of the atomic
bombing (only a few thousand such women), the number of pregnant women who
were using thalidomide was very much greater, literally tens of thousands
since it was the most commonly employed drug in Europe for "morning
sickness".  Hence the population at risk was very large in one instance, and
relatively small in the other.