Re: Radiation as a teratogen

Generation of growth and mental retardation in offspring
does not fit the strict definition of the term
teratogenesis.  However, common usage includes all
abnormalities in offspring resulting from an event during
embryonic/fetal development.  In any case, animal evidence
of teratogenic effects (like genetic effects) of radiation
is so overwhelming as to place the burden of proof on one
who attempts to show no connection.
I agree that we must be careful to separate the effects of
preconception radiation from those of postconception
exposure.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu