RE: Radiation as a teratogen

Actually, I picked my terms and definitions based upon what I perceived to
be the underlying concept, which is that an external factor has the effect
of causing some damage or abnormality to the fetus.  Looking up other
definitions varying on the theme, such as teratogenic and teratogen widens
the scope of the concept beyond that of monstrocities.  Of course, if one
chooses to look at it strictly as concerning morphological characteristics
this shoots a hole in me.

><><><><><><><>
>Right - sorry about that  ....but it seems to me that Kim Merritt looked up
>the wrong words in the on-line medical dictionary (thanks for posting the
>link !!) -- when I looked up "teratogeny," this is what I got, as I
>expected, and in line with the Webster's:
>
>teratogeny
><medicine> The formation of monsters.
>Origin: Gr, a wonder, monster + the root of to be born.
>
>monsters
>A fetus or infant with such pronounced developmental anomalies as to be
>grotesque and usually nonviable.
>
>....this is clearly different from slight physical & mental growth
>retardation !
>
>jaro

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow