RE: State of MD seeks to close local firm

The funny thing is, they are still below the limits!  Maybe it isn't ALARA, but I am sure the regulators and the Washington Post don't want to have to explain THAT one.

Bill Ulicny
wulicny@atlintl.com

> In an affidavit, the state said that "even Neutron estimates that one of its
> neighbors receives 86 to 93 millirems per year from Neutron, or 86 to 93 percent
> of the limit. The average chest X-ray is between 10 and 20 millirems."

Bound to happen .. linkage of "limits" to what is considered "safe".
These are not synonymous terms. Can't blame the public on this one.
If the regulators wouldn't rant and rave every time some facility has
an individual exceed one of these "limits", there would be less of a
tendency to associate the "exceedance" with an increased risk ..
which the public, and lawyers want every one to think will lead to a
cancer or death.