AEC history question

The NRC has had several nomenclatures for license types (i.e. SNM = special
nuclear material)

While reviewing historical documents for several sites, I have come across
some AEC licenses that have several different nomenclatures for similar
licenses.  These are some of the nomenclatures for the license numbers I
have seen; R-### ; STA - ### ; STC - ###.   Does anyone know if there was
any significance to the AEC system of licensing?

Also, It is my understanding that the AEC was established in the mid to late
1940's, however, they were not given licensing authority until the Act of
1954.  Are these correct assumptions?

Hans Honerlah
USACE, Baltimore
Hans.b.honerlah@usace.army.mil