Re: I131 & mobile phones

Dr. Rosenberg,

Not a chance with the dose rate and time involved here.  Sounds like a bad
phone, not rad damage.  The most sensitive parts I've ever tested (for
space flight) showed significant degradation after 2krads.  The part was a
strange Digital to Analog converter of a type not used in cell phones.
Usually, even the worst parts will survive 5krads.

Scott Kniffin

RSO Unisys Federal Systems, Lanham, MD
CHO Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA
mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov

The opinions expressed here are my own. They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys or NASA.  This material has not been reviewed by my
manager or NASA.