Re: Emergency plan for Sterilization Facility

Dear Dr. Van Pelt,

        Apologize me to comment  your introduction,  I do believe  that even
the facility would be in the US the IAEA and other non-US guidance should
be welcome, specially to understand  the 3 basic questions on the
Facilities accident investigations: What failed?  (Personnel, equipment,
procedure), Why did it Fail?  (direct causes)  and Why was it not prevented?
(root causes.)

IAEA has written several documents on Accident and emergency action to
radiation accidents at Industrial Irradiation Facility: Please look at the
IAEA Web Site for the following publications: (In case of any difficulty,
please  send me a  mail and I will provide you the summary(

a) Lessons Learned From Accidents in Industrial Irradiation Facilities
STI/PUB/1015, 1996

b) Radiation Safety of Gamma and Electron Irradiation Facilities Safety
Series 107, 1992

c) Emergency Planning and Preparedness for Accidents Involving Radioactive
Materials Used in Medicine, Industry, Research and Teaching

d) The Radiological Accident in San Salvador, STI/PUB/847, 1990

e) The Radiological Accident in Soreq, STI/PUB/925, 1990

f) The Radiological Accident at the Irradiation Facility in Nesvizh, STI/PUB
1010, 1996

g) An Electron Accelerator Accident in Hanoi, Viet Nam, STI/PUB/1008, 1996

h) Method for the development of emergency response preparedness for nuclear
or radiological accidents - TECDOC 953, 1997

J.J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel