(Reply)Re: Fwd: 33 CONGESSPEOPLE WRITE CLINTON RE KAKADU IN DANGER.

Dear Radsafe,

I was surprised to see a letter from Mr J Hallam of the <Friends of the
Earth> in this mailing list.   I would regard the question of the Jabiluka
uranium mine as an overflow item from domestic Australian politics.

The Australian anti-nuclear lobby has had some recent major defeats such
as, the go ahead  to a new research reactor at the Lucas Heights Site, and
the go ahead to the Beverley Uranium Mine in South Australia.

As for the Jabiluka mine, the Green opposition is not doing too well on the
domestic front. This may explain why they are now recruiting their
<Red-Green International Mates> in a last desperate attempt to halt the
project.

It has been claimed that there are very real threats indeed to the
integrity of Kakadu National Park.  It should be recalled that the park
covers a very wide area of some 19,800 square kilometers.  The main threats
to the Park appear to be biological:  the relentless march of the cane
toad, an animal introduced into Australia sometime in the 1930's; the over
growth of an exotic grass with the name <Mimosa pigra>; and fire
management. I do not include Uranium mining in this threat list.  This is
because I have no problem with accepting the assurance statements,expertise
and good faith of the mineral industry.  The approval process required by
The Australian Government has been detailed and thorough.   All possible
aspects technical,social, cultural have been reviewed by many qualified
experts.  Numerous official enquires and Senate Committees have considered
the evidence and found in favour of the project.  The Green organizations
and their Senate representatives have never been denied the opportunity to
make their case at all hearings and if appropriate prepare a minority report.

Mining operations in Australia are carefully and strictly monitored by the
appropriate authorities, and must adopt  the best engineering practices.
Technically the mineral lease  is excluded from the Kakadu National Park.
I understand that Ranger an established mine is but 20 kilometers to the
South of the lease and that the underground Jabiluka mining will disturb
less then 100 hectares.

It is not clear to me why the Australian Green Organizations consider it to
be in our <national interest> to have Kakadu Park included in a World
Heritage In Danger List.  Those interested in the motivation of the Greens,
and the havoc caused to the Australian economy by Green politics are
referred to a paper by Peter Walsh. Peter Walsh was a former Labour Senator
for Western Australia and former Minister for Minerals and Energy and
Former Finance Minister.

Walsh P.  Labour And The Greens.   Quadrant 1999(may); 43: 19-28.
published by <Quadrant Magazine Co Inc, 46 George Street, Fitzroy, Victoria
3065.  <quadrnt@ozemail.com.au>.

I hope this note is not regarded as a peripheral item in relation to the
radsafe mailing list.

Ivor Surveyor		[isurveyor@vianet.net.au]
Emeritus Consultant Physician,
Department of Nuclear Medicine