Re: U-238 equilibrium in granite ??

>I had a problem when I tried to identify U-238 concentrations in granite and
>other building materials. The gamma spectroscopy results the specific
>activities of Pa-234m and Bi-214 are quite different.

Much snipping for brevity.

Have you allowed for self-absorption by the samples?  I know it's pretty
obvious but it can have a significant effect on gamma spec results with
dense materials.

Regards

Mike

Michael Williamson				ph +61 7 3365 4504
University Radiation Protection Adviser		fax +61 7 3365 1577
The University of Queensland			m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
Brisbane 4072
Australia

Any advice or information given in this posting is the opinion of the
writer alone and other than where explicitly stated, does not represent the
views or policies of the University.