RE: Mysterious "X-ray" Scanner -Reply

I did not see the original posting but from what I am reading it
sounds like a new scatter x-ray scanner.  It sends out a low level
soft x-ray that does not penetrate the skin.  The x-rays are
reflected back depending on how hard an object is.  A detector
generates an image showing hard objects.  It works very well for
detecting weapons and contraband.  I am told that a skilled operator
can use it to peel layers of clothing from a person being scanned.
The images I have seen are very grainy and only show objects in very
low detail.  It is intended to be used instead of metal detectors so
that even non-metallic weapons could be detected.

The opinions expressed herein are entirely my own
and not those of any agency, department, bureau,
etc. of the great state of Texas.

Eugene (Gene) Forrer
Chief
Uranium Licensing Project