RE: Radioactive Effluent Goals

Glen,

You are correct in how a majority of the plants establish their goals
and targets. I believe that this has been the case for many years
now. While at FPL, all of our goals, as part of the TQM process,
based on FPL's receiving the Deming Award, were based on a a large
group of peer utilities. All of the process indicators included the
NRC, as well as INPO tracked items.

It is not enough to remain within regulatory limitations. In an era
of competition, each plant must determine who their main competitors
are, especially cost to the customer. While all indicators are
important, if the plant's availability and cost are not low, the
customer will switch in a heartbeat, made easier with
deregulation.Therefore, regulatory issues are out, and performance is
the key, as it should have always been!

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205