RE: medical practice?

Date sent:      	Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:56:01 -0500 (CDT)
Send reply to:  	radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
From:           	Douglas Simpkin <dsimpkin@execpc.com>
To:             	Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:        	RE: Occupational vs. Medical Exposures

Would Dr. Adcock want me, as a diagnostic medical physicist, to deem which
of his prescribed medical exposures were unnecessary?

This whole topic is a bit ridiculous. The regulatory folks and the
diagnostic physicists should never be in the position of telling physicians
how to practice medicine.

*******
REPLY
*******

But no one has suggested that.

Still, it does seem possible for the physicists to be more effective
in reducing medical exposure.  I don't know of anyone who thinks
that we are getting the most information from the least possible
exposure.  And I believe that the thoughtful opinion of a physicist
about the procedural methods (even including number of images)
would be welcomed by most physicians who are involved in
medical imaging.  Certainly, there is greater potential to reduce
unnecessary (no health benefit) population exposure from medical
use than from occupational sources.

In my opinion, the situation could be greatly improved if physicists
had a higher profile in the medical imaging "team".  Remember,
most medical images in the US are made in the office of
physicians who are not radiologists.

David Adcock