Re: Neutron or even Am Disposal

Tom,
I apologize for replying to your message so belatedly.  Like many others, I
was off at the HPS summer school and the annual meeting.

The Off-site Source Recovery (OSR) Project at Los Alamos National
Laboratory (LANL) recovers and manages unwanted radioactive sealed sources
for which the US Department of Energy (DOE) is responsible under the
Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Amendments Act of 1985. This includes
Am, Am/Be and most other actinide-bearing sources which cannot be disposed
as low level waste. The goal of the project is to reduce to zero the
backlog of such sources for which no disposal options now exist. Currently,
LANL expects to recover as many as 17,000 sealed sources and sealed source
devices over the next ten years. At this point the project is gearing up.
LANL and DOE are working with the NRC to clear a list of sources under a
pilot effort, with more general acceptance scheduled to begin after October
1999. The project is developing a comprehensive database to identify and
track all the excess radioactive sealed sources for which disposal options
do not now exist.

We will soon have a web page to provide up to date
information on the project. We will post this site on RADSAFE as soon as
it's operational. This web page will have a link to a source registry
questionnaire for people who have excess sources and wish to register them
through the OSR Project at LANL. At the present time, if you would like to
register sources on the database, call Shelby Leonard (505) 667-6701 or
Sarah Hoffman (505) 667-9067 to obtain a questionnaire.

Further
information about the OSR Project can also be obtained by contacting the
following individuals:

Joel Grimm
DOE-Albuquerque Operations
Waste