RE: NIRS Update on High-Level Nuclear Waste Legislation (Mobile

>The ANS monthly Nuclear News has legislative summaries that are excellent.
>If you are an ANS member, you can also receive the Washington office review
>of hearings and legislation.  I am not sure if this is on the ANS web page,
>but it might be.

To the best of my knowledge this information is not available on the ANS
web site.  Also, although the summaries are good, they are still not
timely.  A summary usually covers legislative action that is at least a
month old.  Several of the anti's, including CMEP and NIRS, get almost
daily updates on legislation to their people.  Most of their updates
include talking points, phone numbers, addresses, etc. so their people
don't have to do another thing to influence their legislators besides pick
up the phone or cut and past an email or fax.

I don't believe most of us need to be given talking points but a timely
update with a few supporting facts and the contact information would be
nice.  Most of us are intelligent enough to make up our own minds on the
issues and express them, but we are short on the time to keep abreast of
up-to-date status.  Many of us would disagree on the legislative issues but
ANS, HPS, NEI or some other organization could facilitate our involvement
in the process.

NEI used to mail by "priority" or overnight express issue updates with this
type of information.  I never understood how they could spend the money to
do that when for pennies an email can be sent out to thousands of people.

Mike

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D., P.E.
Environmental Technology Group
Environmental Science and Waste Technology Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545

mcbaker@lanl.gov

(505) 667-7334 (phone)