2 mrem limit

>The question originally was for I-131, where virtually all patients, even if
>they are hospitalized, can be "released in accordance with 35.75".  They may
>be hospitalized for other reasons (concern about possible arrhythmias,
>etc.).  If the patient CANNOT be released because he really could reasonably
>give someone over 500mrem, then the Part 20 limit still applies.
>
>Ciao, Carol
>
><csmarcus@ucla.edu>

Hmm, I'd be real interested to see the NRC's take on this interpretation.
It would seem that if you are not going to release the patient from your
facility - as in out the door - then you still have the responsibility to
ensure the general public areas of your facility meet the 2 mrem in an hour
and 100 mrem/y limits.

If you release the person outside of your facility, then the 500 mrem limit
would take effect.  I think there is a difference in facility limits and
limits for individual patients released outside the facility.

At a minimum I think you would have to do a lot of justifying to an
inspector if you used the interpretation above.

This is an opinion - call your friendly NRC rep for the facts!

Patrick Muldoon
pmuldoon@mail.arc.nasa.gov