Re: 2 mrem/hr limit

At 07:54 PM 7/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Whose (what country, state, etc.) has a "public primary dose limit" of 500
>mrem/year.
>
>Jack Bell, bellstar@erols.com
==================

a) In May 1996 the European Community adopted a revised Directive on the Basic
Safety Standard for the protection of the health of workers and the general
public against the dangers arising from ionising radiation (known as the
'BSS'). -- DIRECTIVE 96/29/EURATOM 13 MAY 1996 .
European Members States are obliged to introduce the adopted Directive prior
of 13
May 2000 date to substitute the previous directives of 80/836/Euratom and
84/467/Euratom).

This implementation will impact the Europe legislation on ionizing regulation.

Listeners from Europe could add comments on how they are implementing the
BSS taking into account the new limits adopted (ICRP 60) for workers and public.

b) Former URSS also still use 5 mSv/year

c) ICRP 60 and IAEA BSS mention that in special circumstances, an effective
dose up to 5 mSv in a single year can be permited provided that the average
dose over five consecutive years   does not exceed 1 mSv per year.
Obs: Permited with prior authorization of National Regulatory Authority

d) IAEA BSS also mention a dose limit for comforters and visitor of
patients, i.e., to individuals knowingly exposed while voluntarily helping
(other than in their employment or occupation) in the care, support and
confort of patients undergoing medical diagnoses or tratment, or to visitors
of such patients. The dose of any such conforter or visitors of patients
shall be constrained so that it is unlike that his or her dose will exceed 5
mSv during the period of a patient's diagnostic examination or treatment. In
case of children, the dose should similarly  constrained to less than 1 mSv.

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel

>"J. J. Rozental" wrote:
>
>> The value of 0.25 mrem/hr was derived from the public primary dose limit of
>> 500 mrem/year, 10 % of occupational primary dose limit of 5000 mrem/year
>> (2.5 mrem/year, 2000 hours/year). This was before the adoption of the
ICRP 60.