RE: radium connection

To All:

As a followup on Fred Haywood's missive.

The Pennsylvania Dept of Health, Radiation Safety, sent me a bunch of
articles years ago.  I got:

1)	a copy of Radium, vol. XVII, June 1921, pp 37-68.  The Story of Mme.
Curie's Gram of Radium
2)	a copy of Radium, vol. XIV, March 1920, pp 99-111.  A Sketch of the
Life and Work of Joseph M. Flannery (he was the president of the Standard
Chemical Company.
3)	A reprint from Journal of hemical Education, Vol. 27, June 1950,
pp303-308.  Pittsburgh's Contribution to Radium Recovery.
4)	A transcribed article from the Daily Note, Canonsburg, PA, Mon June
21, 1937 by George Anderson entitled "Canonsberg Once Scene of World's______
of Radium, Street Paved with ______ _______. "

If  you can get the Pennsylvania Department of Health (PDH) to send these to
you, they are great historical readings on Madame Curie and the Standard
Chemical Company.  Heroes, pioneers, and quite a legacy of Radium
contamination are the hallmarks of these articles.

I found a source, marked as an unknown, but with the Standard Chemical name
on the container.  MCA analysis and a call to  the PDH confirmed it as a
radium source made about 1916.  I thought this was pretty cool, and as a
historical source I really wanted to keep it.  However, the glass ampule, in
which you could see the salts, made me awful nervous that it would break!

Larry Grimm
Lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu