Re: RE: RE: Late charges for unreturned badges

My message was not intended as a personal attack, and I regret that you took
it that way.  Your response implies that I advocate an inflexible, punitive
approach to hp.  That's not the case.  Notice that I advocate strong
measures
for "willful or persistent" violations.  You have no choice, since you will
be
held responsible.  You may feel that a large number of users require
monitoring by regulation, but don't really need it. That's irrelevant.  If
personnel require monitoring, they also require valid monitoring results.
As
a minimum, every incidence of failure to obtain valid monitoring results
needs
a documented investigation.  "Let's get real."  Approximately 30% of  the
population, including your radiation workers will get cancer.  Some of them
may want to claim radiation injury, even for negligible doses.  (Of course,
if
you don't have valid monitoring results, the plaintiff's consultant will be
glad to calculate the dose for you.) If you failed to enforce regulatory
requirements, you're a sitting duck, whether or not the PI's like you or you
like me.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com