Re: RE: RE: Late charges for unreturned badges

When I was a graduate student at HSPH, I used to survey labs at Children's
Hospital.  (Harvard held the license then.  I guess you now have your own
license.)  I agree that the PI's there are generally cooperative.  I can't
remember a situation, then, where punitive measures were required, although
one researcher was put on an enhanced survey schedule, due to numerous
spills,
including a major spill during an NRC inspection - fine with me, I was paid
by
the hour!  (We got along well, and he actually taught me a lot about survey
techniques.)

Nevertheless, the PI's have to know that you can, and will go into an
enforcement mode if that's necessary.  You're fooling yourself if you think
that, "... The
licensee is responsible and the RSO is only one player..."  If anything
serious happens, you will bear most of the accountability burden, especially
if your documentation is weak.  A "good relationship" doesn't count for much
when the regulators are in your face.

Trust is intangible, but important.  Although you can't measure it, you'll
know (too late) when you've lost it.  Trust is not being a nice guy. (You
know
where they finish.)  Trust is being counted on to make the tough decisions.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com