Re: RE: INS Laundry - Related Topic

To put this in perspective, I recommend reading William Tucker's article,
"Environmentalism and the Leisure Class - Protecting birds, fishes, and
above
all, social privelege," which was published in "Harper's" magazine, in
December, 1977.  It is a true classic - I have not seen anything since then
match it.  The beauty of this article is that it has absolutely nothing to
do
with nuclear power or radiation.  It's about the proposed Storm King
project,
a pumped storage facility which Con Ed wanted to construct, to use offpeak
power to pump water to an elevated holding pond, which would then be
released
thru turbines during peak times. The only perceived environmental detriment
was the loss of the natural esthetics along a small portion of the Hudson
River.  The only group impacted was the relatively rich group of property
holders in this area.  Ths article shows how they used environmental issues
rally public opinion and eventually kill this project.  The media
consistenly
portayed them as the "good guys."  The fact that the loss of this facility
required Con Ed to build coal plants in or near New York City did not seem
bother anyone.

It's a rather long article, so please don't ask me to fax it.  It is
probably
available at a university library.

And, as always:
It's not about dose, it's about trust.