Re: Radioactivity in sewer sludge

High Plains Drifter  wrote:

>Since most discharges of any
>magnitude is conducted by a licensed entity - the regulators
>can crank down on the releases, if really necessary, and
>eliminate any real possible pathway problem.

This may be true in some cases,  but it seemed in Ohio that every time the NRC made noise about enforcing discharge criteria from Advanced Medical Systems (check the archives for previous threads on that name, AMS, or Co60 in sludge ash) the company threatened to go bankrupt and the issues seemed to go away.  The discharges didn't change, but there seemed to be a lack of will to force the issue.   The City of Cleveland finally cut the sewer connection and turned off water to the building.

So in this case, it's true that the regulators can crack down, but can also chose not to for some reason.

My opinion only,  the Stateof Ohio may not agree with it.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
voice:  614-644-3066