RE: Cancer treatment question

Chapter 9 of Introduction to Radiobiology by Maurice Tubiana, Jean Dutreix,
and Andre Wambersie is devoted to the effects of hyperthermia on radiation
damage.  Hyperthermia  causes increased cell death by itself.  This is
further increased by irradiation.  The thermal enhancement ratio (TER) is
the ratio of  the doses producing the same effect at physiological
temperature (Dph) and at the hyperthermic temperature (Dth).

TER depends on the temperature, the period of heating and the time interval
between heat and irradiation.  The effect is greatest when heat and
irradiation are applied simultaneously.

Terry Harmon
Sr. Health Physics Tech
Kelly Scientific Resources