Re: GM Quench Gas

     Susan wrote:

     We recently came across a gas tank which is dated 1969 and is labeled
     as "GM Quench Gas".  The company listed on the bottle is
     Nuclear-Chicago.

     Susan,

     I seem to recall that GM Qgas supplied for flow-cell detectors such as
     those employed for radiochromatogram scanners testing tritiated
     compounds....is likely to be helium with 2%[?] isobutane being the
     organic quencher. Nuclear Chicago is long gone, but the product was
     labeled for them by a specialty gas supplier anyhow, and perhaps one
     that services UCSB would likely take that old bottle away for you.

     For what its worth...

     Paul Tyree
     mrpmt@empire.net