No Response: NORM waste

(Sorry about the previous posting... I got caught by the "FROM" gremlin in
my email text...)
Dave Biela <BielaD@wv.doe.gov> asked:
>How does your site classify and dispose of the following Naturally
Occurring >Radioactive Materials (NORM) (LLW?  Industrial Waste?  Other?)

Excellent question. From your email address, I'm assuming you're with the
West Virginia DOE. The fact that you, the regulator, are asking us, the
regulated, indicates that you're as confused about the state of NORM
disposal as the rest of us.

Right now I sitting on a bottle of Uranyl Nitrate that our pathology lab
had sitting around for decades. (It was used as part of a cell staining
procedure.) I, too, am unclear on how to (legally) dispose of it!

You can buy NORM easily enough. You just can't get rid of it.

I'd be very interested to know what other responses you hear from your
RADSAFE posting.

Thanks,
Doug

Douglas J. Simpkin, Ph.D., DABR