RE: More on DU

Actually, one of the clearance pathways of particles from alveolar region of
the lung is the translocation of particles to the tracheobronchial lymph
nodes.  I have several references on the subject and I would be happy to
share them with you.  One reference suggests that the particulate burdens in
the nodes can be as high as 10% of the initial alveolar burden.  The exact
mechanism of the clearance pathway is unknown.  It has been proposed that
the particles are transported across the alveolar epithelial barrier by Type
I cells.  Once in the free space, the particles are then phagocytized by
interstitial macrophages which then enter the lymphatic vessels.  It has
also been theorized that the alveolar macrophages may actually carry the
particles through the epithelium and interstitium then into the lymph nodes
themselves.