RE: UV intensity meter

A meter for measurement of UV sterilization lamps only has to respond to,
and be calibrated for, 254 nm.  Essentially all of the radiation from these
low pressure mercury lamps is at 254 nm except for a few percent output at
the mercury lines above 300 nm.  If you are interested in using the meter
for other types of UV measurements, then you must decide what spectral
responsivity is required.  For some safety evaluations it is desirable to
have a spectral weighting approximating that of the ACGIH S(lambda)
function.  For other safety evaluations, a flat bandpass between 320 nm and
400 nm with strong rejection elsewhere is useful.  Etc. Etc.

There are several companies that make meters that respond in the UV.  I
suggest that you might start with International Light Inc. because they have
a concise catalog showing a variety of various weightings that can be
provided on several basic instrument types.  Their address is 17 Graf Road,
Newburyport, MA 01950, and the phone is (978) 465-5923.

Robert E. Levin, Ph.D.
Corporate Scientist
OSRAM SYLVANIA
71 Cherry Hill Drive