Re: Cf-252 neutron rate

>Rad Health Handbook (black) Table 7.2 lists 1.0 E+6 n/sec-Ci

The above value must be in error.  Table 7.2 lists ICRU 26 as the source of
the information in the Table.  On p. 54 of ICRU 26, the specific neutron
emission rate of a Cf-252 source is said to be 2.31E06 neutrons per
microgram per second.  This is consistent with Table 7.9 and other
references which I have, like ISO 8529 where it is listed as 2.4E15n/s/kg.

>Rad Health Handbook (black) Table 7.9 lists 2.3 E+12 n/sec-g and 536
>Ci/g = 4.3 E+9 n/sec-Ci
>
>Rad Health Handbook (black) Table 7.5 is confusing but tends to agree
>with Table 7.9
>
>Can anybody out there help me with the "real" neutron emission rate of
>Cf-252? Table 7.2 and 7.9 differ by a factor of >1000

Nolan E. Hertel, PhD, PE
Director, Neely Research Center
Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Health Physics
G. W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0425
(404)894-3601
facs: (404) 894-9325