Re: Are Portal Monitors Required?

Hello Mr Archer
     Standard making is currently underway for a document that concerns
itself with the calibration and testing of portal monitors. This is , or
will be, ANSI/HPS N323D. The chairman of the group is Peter Chiaro at
the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Its issue is still some time off.

Tim Martinson, ANSI 323D committee member
Health Physics Group
Wisconsin Public Service Corp
Kewaunee Nuclear Power Plant
N490 Highway 42
Kewaunee, WI    54216
Phone:(920) 388-8345
Fax: (9200 388-8331
E-mail: tmartin@wpsr.com

>>> "Archer, Joe" <archerj@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us> 08/09 8:30 AM >>>
Of course the regs require that people frisk out of contaminated areas
but
is anyone aware of any requirements for portal monitors at the main
exit of
a facility? We have them and they seem to be a good defense in depth
idea
but I'm wondering if getting rid of them is an option. Also, I've never
seen
anything on testing and calibrating portal monitors. Does anyone know
of a
standard for such. Thanx in advance for the knowledge. Please send
to my email unless you think the information may be useful to others.