Re: Intentional Use of Radionuclides for Harm

> Finally, we university RSOs are not policemen and NRC or Agreement State
> rules and regulations are not designed to prevent deliberate acts.  There
> are other laws to deal with such things.  If the regulators and the news
> media would come out and say that these events have resulted in no
> perceptable harm, maybe the "nuts" would look for other ways to harm people.

While I can't disagree with the hypothesis put forth by Bob, I'll
only say that deliberate acts by individuals to circumvent regulatory
statutes is not considered a mitigating factor when it comes to the
licensee (NRC). This was validated many times while I was with FPL,
and individuals caused incidents that were in violation of 10CFR20.
In each case, the facility was cited for the incident. The fact that
an employee intentionally caused the incident was not deemed a factor
to relieve the licensee from meeting the regulations. Perhaps this
was only a Region II issue, but, it happened repeatedly. Therefore,
one could say that the NRC expected a licensee to take whatever
actions to prevent an intentional incident, as fruitless as that
effort could ever be.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205