Intentional Use of Radionuclides for Harm

Dear Bill & Radsafers:

I guess I'm going to have to disagree with Bill Lipton's thoughts that we
need to develop strategic plans to deal with these events where someone
attempts to harm someone else with radioactivity.  I'm not against being
proactive, but the fact is that most of these events have resulted in little
risk of significant effect to the exposed individuals.

It is my opinion that the "knee jerk" response by both the regulators and
the news media is partially responsible for these events in the first place.
In most university research laboratories there are other hazardous materials
that are infinitely more harmful than radioactivity (biohazards, chemicals,
etc.).  In fact, you can go to your local grocery store and buy some pretty
nasty stuff to put in someone's coffee (drain cleaners, etc.), so why do we
go off the deep end when radioactivity is involved?!!.  Again, in my opinion
these "nuts" who do this are either stupid or rely on the fact that the
terms "radiation" and/or "radioactivity" invoke fear in the minds of the
public.  Perhaps we need to provide terrorist training which basically says,
"don't use radioactivity - it doesn't work!!" (I'm being facetious here).

Finally, we university RSOs are not policemen and NRC or Agreement State
rules and regulations are not designed to prevent deliberate acts.  There
are other laws to deal with such things.  If the regulators and the news
media would come out and say that these events have resulted in no
perceptable harm, maybe the "nuts" would look for other ways to harm people.

Regards,

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu