Re: Intentional Use of Radionuclides for Harm

While the doses to the "victims" of these incidents are generally low, there is
often psychological damage, litigation, and, definitely, a significant effect on
the RSO.  I suggest that you look at NUREG-1535, "Ingestion of Phosphorus-32 at
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Identified on
August 19, 1995."  This is a classic case of a minor incident being made into a
major media event by the RSO response.  An established protocol would probably
have prevented this.  In addition to the NUREG, this attracted considerable
media attention.  An article in the October 19, 1995 issue of "Nature," a
respected scientific journal, begins:  "A post-doctoral fellow at the ... MIT
claims to be suffering from "pain all over [his] body" two months after an
incident in the laboratory of  ... in which he appears to have ingested over 500
microcuries of the radioactive isotope phosphorus-32.  So far the incident,
which took place on 14 August, has been kept quiet by MIT...the NRC says it was
first notified of what happened by MIT on Monday, after the institute had been
informed that "Nature" planned to report on it..."  The same issue also included
an article on a simlar incident:  "The ... FBI has launched a criminal
investigation into the circumstances under which 27 researchers at the National
Cancer Institute ... including a pregnant research fellow, were contaminated,
apparently deliberately - with the radioisotope phosphorus-32.  The ... NRC is
simultaneously investigating complaints from the fellow, Maryann Wenling Ma. and
her husband... that lax safety procedures ...  contributed to the contamination
incident.  ... one of Ma's three lawyers plans to sue NIH for the emotional
distress ..."

While sticking your head in the sand will not  prevent these incidents, how we
respond, especially at the initial stages, makes a big difference in the
outcome.  Decisions you have to make on the spot will be analyzed for months by
teams of high  priced lawyers.  If nothing else, an established protocol will
head off a lot of second guessing.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com