Re: U.S. Orders Probe Of Plutonium Exposure - Report

The inhalation ALI for Pu-239 is 6 E-3 uCi which is less than 0.1 micrograms, so
even if the amounts are "pretty small," the potential for damage is there.
Considering that the material was probably handled in kg quantities, and if the
article stating that there was visible dust from the process is even partly
true, a worker not practicing good radiological controls could have easily
inhaled several ALI's in a year, even if the Pu is a trace concentration.

As I stated before, now is not the time for a knee jerk, 1. ready 2. fire 3. aim
response.  Let's wait for better information.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.  (Bill Richardson knows this, do you?)

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com