From: antatnsu@pacbell.net [mailto:antatnsu@pacbell.net]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 1999 1:17 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: U.S. Orders Probe Of Plutonium Exposure - Report

--------------A1BFB6648FD08B665C62821C

I couldn't agree more.  But, what I'd like to know is where the plutonium
came
from, how much of it there was, what the concentration of Pu in U was and
what
controls were there.  I suppose the investigation will tell us in a couple
of
years.  But there must be some information we can get before then (I hope).
Al
Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

William V Lipton wrote:

> My advice to all RADSAFER's:
>
> Don't knee jerk this.  From my experience working at a DOE facility, this
story
> is credible.  At the facility where I worked, many of the chemists did not
> consider natural uranium to be radioactive, and tended to handle it
without
> radiological controls.  In a sense they were correct, since, for natural
or
> depleted uranium, the chemical hazards (it's toxic to the kidneys) overide
the
> radiological hazards.  It was a problem for me, however, since the
facility
> also handled Pu.  So when I found loose alpha contamination, I had to
assume
> that it was Pu until proven otherwise.  It's credible to me that at a
facility
> which handled only uranium, radiological controls would be minimal.  If
the
> workers were not aware that there was Pu contamination, there could be
some
> serious uptakes.
>
> We should refrain from considering this to be antinuke propaganda until
more
> information is available.

--------------A1BFB6648FD08B665C62821C

begin:          vcard
fn:             Al Tschaeche
n:              Tschaeche;Al
org:            Nuclear Standards Unlimited
email;internet: antatnsu@postoffice.pacbell.net
title:          CEO
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE