Re: U.S. Orders Probe Of Plutonium Exposure - Report

" The Washington Post, citing court documents, plant records and
 interviews, reported that uranium workers at the Paducah Gaseous
 Diffusion Plant inhaled plutonium-laced dust brought into the plant
 for 23 years until as recently as 1976.

 The Post said plutonium was introduced to the Paducah plant,
 designed to handle the vastly less radioactive metal uranium, in
 tiny but highly dangerous quantities in used uranium brought to the
 plant from 1953-1976 as part of an experimental nuclear
 reactor fuel recycling program."

As recently as 1976?  Get real!

I had occasionally seen references to a Tc-99 "problem" at the
Paducah facility and over the years had wondered how a gaseous
diffusion plant could have a problem with a fission product.  About a
year ago I had an opportunity to visit the Paducah facility and
learned first hand about the experiment to test the feasibility of
recovering uranium from "slightly irradiated" fuel ( I think this is
the way it was explained to me).  Point being, no one was hiding
anything, and apparently, since I had read about the sequelae of the
experiment, numerous people already knew, as should anybody who
bothered to look a little.  So why are these three employees filing
suit now?  Also what studies have observed the increase of cancer in
the 1980's, four years after the recovery project began( latency
period?) What kind(s) of cancer has(ve) shown up?

I also learned that the state of Kentucky has been monitoring the
facility for quite a few years and has yet to call out the national
guard.
<>    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer                  <>
<> Email:charles.meyer@tdh.state.tx.us
<>     Phone:(512)834-6688                       <>
<>        Fax:(512)834-6654                        <>