Intentional Use of Radionuclides for Harm

Sandy, Bill, & Radsafers:

I'm not disputing the fact that the NRC made a big deal of the MIT incident
(NUREG-1535 proves that they did).  I'm not disputing that the NRC holds
licensees responsible for the actions of their employees - that is a given
as well.  I'm simply saying that I feel  the NRC's actions were
inappropriate for the level of harm associated with the MIT incident.

Let's put that incident in another context.  Let's say the toxic agent was
sulfuric acid rather than radioactivity.  Let's also assume that the amount
used was such that no harm was expected.  Would a regulatory agency (OSHA?)
publish a report similar to NUREG-1535?  Would the news media have seen this
as a "breaking" story?  Would all facilities where sulfuric acid is used or
stored have been subjected to increased scrutiny about the security
requirements for sulfuric acid?  Would the FBI become involved in a criminal
investigation?  Would the victims have suffered psychological trauma to the
same degree?  Would the victim's attorneys considered litigation?

Of course, we don't know the answers to these questions.  But I'd be willing
to bet that the response of the regulators, media, victims, and the general
public would have been less dramatic.  My point is that radiation and
radioactive materials have a "mystique" associated with them, a mystique
that both regulators and licensees promote when we overreact to incidents
such as this.  It all goes back to the fact that we (licensees and
regulators) need to educate the public.  As long as we continue to speak out
of both sides of our mouth (i.e., radiation in small quantites isn't very
hazardous, but we're are going to regulate the heck out of it anyway), we
will continue to see these types of incidents.  The public can't agree on
gun control, but it appears that the consensus is that we'd better lock up
every microcurie of radioactivity - go figure.

Regardless of responses to this post, I'll refrain from getting on my
soapbox anymore - I've got to go see if all 375 of our radionuclide
laboratories are locked up.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu