RE: Intentional Use of Radionuclides for Harm

>"Safe" and "dangerous" are terms that we may never actually be able to
>quantify, with respect to public opinion about radiation.  What the public
>needs to be taught is that there is a certain level of risk associated with
>a certain level of radiation.

I think this comes down to having differing views of the term "safe".  In
my opinion the public looks at the term "safe" as meaning risk free.  When
I think of something being safe I look at it more from a risk perspective.
What is the relative risk of this compared to the rest of the hazards in my
life?  Given this difference, if I used the public perspective of "safe" I
would have to answer no to the question regarding whether 5 rem per year is
safe.  Of course under a risk based perpective it is safe and it also
explains why someone would spend their own money to be "safer", read
minimizing your risk.  Of course, I would not spend my own money to lower
my exposure, that's what employers are for!

Ultimately, although we seem to be speaking the same language as the
public, our meaning is different than theirs.  Granted, it may seem like
semantics but it can lead to instances where we seem to be speaking out of
both sides of our mouths, "Yes it's safe, although there is some minimal
risk ...".

What to do, what to do...?

I think this is where educational programs like the one Jay Shelton at
Santa Fe Prep has(see earlier thread on INS laudry), have the opportunity
to make some progress for the future.

My two cents.

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow