peak identification

Without more info it would be hard to tell what caused the broad peak.
Was it an environmental sample, it which case it could be a degraded
Be-7 peak which has a gamma at 477.6 keV.  Back in the '70s I had
somewhat of s similar expeience on a NaI system when there was a voltage
fluctuation during the night and I would up with two broad peaks at
different energies even thought the sample contained only fallout
Cs-137.  You may want to check system stability.