Re: Measuring N16 -Gamma dose surveys

In a message dated 8/18/99 1:26:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
David.S.Villicana@ucm.com writes:

<< Is there a dose rate instrument that will measure the dose given off by
N16?

 David Villicana
 Dresden
 ComEd
 Training >>

David:
Back in the 1970s, I conducted numerous environmental dose surveys at several
operating BWR's using  10" diameter high pressure argon filled ionization
chambers [HPIC]. HPIC instruments have been widely used to measure the
incremental gamma dose either in close proximity [a hundred feet or so from a
turbine building, or at distances of 800 to 1200 feet distant looking at
direct and skyshine gamma dose.

As part of the licensing of the proposed Pilgrim II plant in the mid 1970s, I
recall being hoisted up in wire mesh cage by a crane with my HPIC to measure
the dose rate in a grid pattern at various heights above the ground to derive
an estimate of the total man-rem dose to workers constructing a second unit
next to an operating BWR.

At Vermont Yankee, a series of dose rate measurements heading back from the
turbine building on a line normal to the high pressure turbine and off to the
side many hundreds of feet at various power levels was able to derive
isopleths of dose rate. This data was needed to determine plant compliance
with a Vermont State regulation on fenceline turbine dose [which was very
difficult to meet since VY had the closest site boundary of any BWR in the
US]. These surveys led to the design and installation of a turbine deck
shield wall designed to reduce the direct N-16 dose at the site boundary.
Post installation N-16 gamma dose measurements showed the shield wall had
reduced fenceline dose to a level below that mandated by state regulations.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674