Re: cassini flyby -COSMOS 954 Breakup comparison 1978

In a message dated 8/18/99 10:58:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sfreyohp@SLAC.Stanford.EDU writes:

<< Some years after Apollo 13, a Russian oceanic radar
 spy satellite bearing over a hundred pounds of on-board
 nuclear reactor fuel fell out of orbit and broke up over
 Canada. The path of detectible radioactive material
 stretched for many miles on the ground, with parts found
 reading in the rems-per-hour range.  >>

I recall that in the winter of 1978 [?] a Russian satellite, COSMOS 954
reentered the earth's atmosphere and burned up showing debris over the frozen
surface of Great Slave Lake in Canada. I can only assume the incident
mentioned in the excerpt above  by Steve Frey relates to this incident. This
incident offers some neat points of reference about locating a path of
radioactive deposition from a satellite breakup and the wide variability of
backgroun.

There was a fascinating paper about COSMOS 954 written a few years later
where the Canadian scientists involved in finding the depostion reported that
they had a very hard time finding the path of  radioactive debris deposition
and missed it initially after flying over it with plane mounted gamma
spectrometers [NaI as used in EG&G ARMS survey planes of the day].  As
reported in the paper from about 1979 buried somewhere in my dead files,  the
path of deposition was missed at first because the depositon was mainly over
the ice [which has a very low background to begin with vs. over land] and the
land mass around Great Slave Lake had extremely high levels of background
radiation due to the very high levels of uranium there which had served as
the source of a booming radium mining enterprise by Eldorodo Gold for many
decades, and a later uranium mining industry by Canada.

After the ice melted, I imagine a good part of the residual deposition, after
the bigger pieces chunks of debris from this event were picked up, ended up
settling into the waters and sediment of Great Slave Lake. However, I never
saw anything about this latter point.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way