Re: RE: CORRECTED INFO RE GAMMAMED HDR UNITS

Thanks Dr. Z!

I'll add the comment that "LDR" and "MDR" are low and medium dose rate machines.   NRC has published some licensing and inspection guidance on the dose rates that defined the low, medium and high types but I can't put my paws on it right now (and I work here!).   I think it was in the Inspection Procedures 87100  or  2800.   Maybe Greg Sackett or one of the "Staties" has it handy.

Maybe someone with Euro experience can provide additional comment on this thought.   I've heard that HDRs (or LDR, MDRs) are the only method of  brachytherapy permitted in France because of the low occupational exposures from this technology.   True, false. part true, part false?

Jim

jhm@nrc.gov

>>> Rachid Zitouni <azittouni@yahoo.com> 08/19 7:46 AM >>>
Rather well done!
It is also worth mentioning that, while the technology has improved
quite a bit bringing more advantages and comfort to the patient, other
parameters of importance are also crucial in brachytherapy. For
example, the radiation treatment protocol which is closely related to
cell survival, tissue recovery,... and other physiological constraints.
LDR and MDR are still of good use! Anyway, a lot of research work in
this field is being pursued at some of the most prominent institutions
and it is hoped that the advancement of technology will be followed by
pertinent cancer research results.

Regards,
Dr. Abderrachid ZITOUNI, PhD
azittouni@yahoo.com