Re: cassini flyby -Reply

My calendar indicates it's the 19th and I don't see the sky falling!!

T. Lashley
LashleyT@DTEenergy.com

Protesters Are Wary of Space Probe

KNIGHTRIDDER NEWS SERVICE, June 30, 1999
http://www.sltrib.com/1999/jun/06301999/nation_w/4905.htm

PASADENA, Calif. -- A space probe powered by 72.3 pounds of
plutonium, one of the deadliest substances on Earth, is hurtling
back toward our planet and reawakening the vigorous controversy
that accompanied its launch two years ago.

Bound for Saturn after a journey that slingshots it around several
planets, the Cassini probe will carry its radioactive and highly toxic
fuel to within 723 miles of Earth -- at 42,300 mph.

Not much room for error there.

Scientists are fine-tuning the route now. They say they have
everything under control. Scheduled time for Cassini's closest
approach to Earth: 11:30 p.m. MDT on Aug. 18.