Exchanges with Lubin and with Field et al in HEALTH PHYSICS

 	Early in 1998, I accidently found out that papers were to be
published in Health Physics by Lubin and by Field et al critiquing my
study of the radon vs lung cancer relationship among U.S. Counties as a
test of the linear-no threshold theory, originally published in the Feb
1995 issue of Health Physics. I asked the Editor if I could reply to these
critiques, and he assented under the condition that my replies be received
within 2 weeks and Lubin and Field et al would be given a Rejoinder in the
same issue. All of these were published in the July 1998 issue.
	I felt that the Rejoinders raised new issues and submitted a
response to these. The Editor, after some urging, agreed to publish my
response with the understanding that Lubin and Field et al would be given
an opportunity to reply to that response, and that there would be no
further publications on the exchange. My response was published in the
April 1999 issue, and their replies recently appeared in the September
1999 issue. I feel that their replies were highly misleading and am
frustrated by not having an opportunity to explain why.
	As an outlet for my frustration, I would be happy to explain these
matters in  brief notes on Radsafe if people are interested, or if people
have questions they might transmit thru Radsafe, I would be delighted to
respond. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260