RE: Exchanges with Lubin and with Field et al in HEALTH PHYSICS

Dr. Cohen:

I have to say that I admire your determination to defend your work on radon
and lung cancer.  While I have nothing to suggest on this particular issue
at this time, I wonder if I might make a suggestion in another area.

Exposure to ultraviolet radiation is an important and topical public health
issue.  Most exposure is certainly from the sun, but a significant
contribution also results from the use of artificial tanning equipment.
While it appears to plausible that the use of such equipment may present a
risk of melanoma (the most serious form of skin cancer), the epidemiological
evidence to date is not yet conclusive.  There have been about 20 studies
that sought to determine a relationship, but many concerns have been voiced
about the methodology used in the studies (like small sample sizes, failure
to consider possible confounding factors, etc.).  In view of the fact that
skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed form of cancer, and the incidence
appears to be increasing year on year, I think that greater effort to
understand the cause is well justified.

May I suggest, therefore, that you consider spending some of your time on
this matter, with a particular focus on the melanoma/tanning bed risk?  I
would be pleased to provide you with more information on the epidemiological
work, should you wish.

For information, the Health Physics Society has recently issued a Position
Statement on Ultraviolet Radiation.  This can be viewed on their website:

http://www.hps.org/documents/ultravioletradiation.pdf

Eric Cowdrey
Radiation Protection Officer
Department of Medical Physics
Manitoba Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation
100 Olivia Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba    R3E 0V9
CANADA

Tel (204) 787-2166