Re: Rad Safety Training - HazMat Team

If this involves radiography, I remember reading about an incident where
radiographers were working on a bridge.  There were also painters working on
the bridge who had not been notified of the radiography.  Either there was no
boundary or the painters ignored it, but they ended up painting the radiography
source!  I'm sure that I read about this, but I did not save the document and
have not been able to find it, again.

The SL1 incident is also an interesting story.  There's also a film on this,
although it may no longer be available.  There's plenty of written material
about this, however.

As a personal experience, I used to survey labs where iodinations were
performed.  If I found  contamination, my standard practice was to call in the
lab workers for thyroid counts.  There was usually a good correlation between
lab contamination levels and the thyroid uptake of at least one of the lab
workers.  One exception was an employee whose lab often had iodine
contamination.  Despite repeated thyroid counts, there was never any uptake.
Finally, after about 6 months, and 10 thyroid counts, of this. she let me know
that she didn't have a thyroid - the perfect radioiodine worker!

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com