RE: WOW!!!! Personal Contamination

I think the 50k is probably related to more of a dosimetric interest rather
than a contamination control measure for a site.  Dosimetric interests and
contamination control interests exist in different orders of maginitude and
so the criteria for implementing these programs should be different.
Contamination control programs should review all contaminations, but
dosimetry personnel should not attempt to calculate dose for all
contaminations.

The most likely contributor to be found at a power plant would probably be
Co-60.  The dose contribution from 50 kdpm of Co-60 for an hour on the skin
would be:

Point source ~90 mrem "shallow dose" or "hot particle dose", not SDE
Plane source (15.5 cm^2) ~5mrem SDE

These exposure values are quite small when compared to the 50 rem "hot
particle" dose and 75 uCi-hr limits for point sources and 50 rem SDE for
planar sources.  The risk from particle is also officially recognized to be
deterministic in nature, not stochastic, which explains why some of the
discussed exposure thresholds may seem high to those not in the skin dose
business.

50k Point	0.2% dose, 0.03% uCi-hr limit
50k Planar	0.01%
TLD		10 mrem minimum reportable.  The bulk of non-outage
exposures are reduced to 0.
Monitoring 	10% of limit, some might say 100 mrem at their facility.
ALI	Can't recall, but I would expect 95% of the plants don't exceed 1%
an ALI for a single person in a year.

All contaminations should be recorded with the description of point or
planar sources, attenuating materials, and the amount of exposure in dpm-hr.
Isotopic analysis would also be performed as applicable.  This provides data
with which to make an accurate decision to calculate exposure or not.  The
contamination report would still go into the worker's record, whether or not
a formal dose calculation was done or not.  I think there is a difference in
spending the time to collect the data to accurately characterize a
contamination event versus spending additional time to calculate 0 mrem of
dose 100 times a year.  All forms of exposure have lower thresholds, its
just that most contamination thresholds are still unusually conservative as
compared to the other forms of exposure.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com