ALERT! NUCLEAR WASTE: YUCCA/TRANSPORT -Reply

For those with Yucca Mountain Interests:  this was sent to me....

The bottom line is at the end... instead of "shut down nuclear power"
it has become "phase out waste generation".  Novel.

Michael
mford@pantex.com

08/25/999 NUCLEAR INFORMATION & RESOURCE SERVICE
NUCLEAR WASTE ALERT:

Yucca Mountain Environmental Impact Statement Meetings Pushed
Back Major Transport Hub and California Site Added to Meeting List
YOUR ACTION IS HAVING IMPACT!!!!!!!

We recently asked you to tell DOE (Department of Energy) that they
need to listen to you and your community as part of the
Environmental Impact Statement process on the Yucca Mountain
high-level nuclear waste dump, which involves the largest nuclear
waste shipping campaign in history...200 Hiroshima bombs per
container rolling down the rails and 40 Hiroshima bombs per truck...

Here is an update: THE PREVIOUS MEETING DATES HAVE ALL
CHANGED!!!

Giving us more time to organize around these meetings...and PUSH
FOR MORE!

It is VITAL that we use these events to elevate the prospect of 30
years of continuous high-level nuclear waste shipments in the
consciousness of folks at the state and local level...It is also vital
that we send the message that Yucca Mountain is a failed site. 219
citizen organizations petitioned the Secretary of Energy in November
1998 to disqualify Yucca Mountain NOW since DOE's own data
shows that it violates DOE's own rules for nuclear waste disposal
sites, and WILL leak. (98% of the U.S. burden of radioactivity
generated during the Nuclear Age to date would go there.)

Tentative Public Hearing Dates and Locations as of 08/24/999

                      Amargosa Valley NV   September    27
                      Pahrump, Nevada                   30

                      Goldfield, Nevada    October       5
                      Boise, Idaho                      14
                      Ely, Nevada                       19
                      Atlanta, Georgia                  21
                      Washington, DC                    26

                      Lone Pine, Calif.*   November      4
                      Denver, Colorado                   9
                      Caliente, Nevada                   9

                      Reno, Nevada         December      1
                      Austin, Nevada                     7
                      Crescent Valley, NV                9

                      Las Vegas, Nevada    January      11
                      Salt Lake City, Utah              13
                      St. Louis, Missouri**             19

* Lone Pine is not on a transport route, but shares the water that a
Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump would contaminate -- DOE
does not deny it, they list dilution in the ground water as part of their
"containment strategy" in official presentations on the site!

** St. Louis has been added -- thanks to the noise we are making!

FOR MORE INFORMATION about these hearings, AND TO
CONFIRM DATES you can contact the DOE toll-free at
(800)967-3477 or by e-mail:  eisr@notes.ymp.gov

To check out the projected nuclear waste shipping routes in your
state, visit the State of Nevada's Nuclear Projects Office and look at
the maps. http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/yucca/travel.htm
You might also visit
http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/eis/yucca/index.htm
for more background information.

DON'T STOP NOW IN TELLING DOE THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM
YOU!!!! How far would you have to travel to attend one of these
meetings? Are they going to pay your way?

WRITE OR FAX Energy Secretary Bill Richardson (sorry, e-mail is
nonexistent terms of making a "presence felt" in Federal Agencies)
demanding a Yucca Mt. EIS Hearing in your community.

Bill Richardson, Secretary of Energy
1000 Independence
Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 200585
fax 202-586-4403

Send a copy to Mr. Lake Barrett, Acting Director, DOE Office of
Civilian Radioactive Waste Management, (same address). You might
also call his office to try and start the balls rolling (phone:
202-586-6850).

Be sure to include in the letter (personally written material really is
the best) details about the routes in your area -- proximity to schools
or hospitals, details of weather or other challenges that make your
area unique. Emphasize what a large potential impact this is to your
community and the fact that DOE has no credibility when it comes to
generic statements.

IT IS VITAL THAT WE HAVE LARGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE
ATTEND THESE HEARINGS.
NIRS will help you with materials--fact sheets, our famous
"Radioactive Waste Trucks and Trains Headed Your Way" brochure,
and contacting people in these areas on our mailing list. Please
network and help get the word out.

If you get a hearing in your community we will help you too! Call
NIRS 202-328-0002. Ask for Mary Olson, or after Sept 6th, Kevin
Kamps...or e-mail to maryo@nirs.org &  check out our website:
http://www.nirs.org

THANK YOU!!!!! Mary Olson

TOGETHER WE CAN STOP YUCCA MOUNTAIN AND PUSH FOR
THE ONLY RESPONSIBLE NUCLEAR WASTE PROGRAM THERE IS
-- PHASE OUT OF WASTE GENERATION AND MONITORED
ISOLATION OF WHAT IS ALREADY GENERATED. DON'T WASTE
AMERICA!